Monday 29 October 2012

She's a brick...

Well hello there!
Today is the 29th, and that means graveyard nails, and a fairly pic heavy post.
I decided to give you step by step images of what happened to my nails for this challenge!

Blue Gradient
I started with a blues gradient for this mani, and I used 5, count 'em, FIVE blues to achieve this look.
I also didn't use top coat yet, as obviously, this is only step one!
The blues are (lightest to darkest): ulta3 'bluebird', 'blue heaven', Sinful Colors 'why not', essence 'Walk on Air', and ulta3 'midnight fever'
Also, this is probably the fakest my nails have ever looked to me. So strange - they look like stick on nails, eh?

Blues Gradient
This is me trying out a new hand angle. Thoughts?


Then, because I loved the gradient so much, I did it on both hands, and on my right hand, I chucked a bunch of different top coats, to see how it would look.
L-R we have Seche Vite, a Spectra Flair top coat from Gloss 'n Sparkle's Etsy store, my Rimmel Matte top coat, and two essences - 'glitter top coat', and 'space queen'.


Slightly blurred to show the holo, and the glitter sparkles.


For step two, I did a bit of a watermarble. I used ulta3 'lily white' and Revlon 'just tinted top coat', to create the alternating marble, so the blues would show through.
Any clues yet as to my design?



I had real trouble finding the right polishes to achieve the alternation in the marble. Obviously I couldn't use a fast drying top coat, and the Just Tinted spread so nicely on its own, but was a pain in the backside when it came to spreading in the white. Oh well, managed it eventually!


Tada! Completed graveyard mani!
I decided I wanted to do something a little bit out of the ordinary for this, not your typical skull and crossbones, cemetery at midnight mani, which I know I could never do justice to anyway, so I was thinking laterally, and came up with this: a watery death/grave!


The idea is someone's drowning, and that's their hand sticking up out of the waves, calling for help that will never come...Macabre, right? :)

For the hand I used 2 essence nudes, 'nude it!' and 'toffee to go', and painted it onto a plastic ziplock bag first, allowed it to dry for a couple hours, then stuck it straight onto my nail like a decal! Applied some topcoat, and was good to go!

I am really SO happy with this mani, thought it looked magnificent from beginning to end.
What do you guys reckon? Too morbid, or just right?

As always, thanks for stopping by!
xNai


ps: Points if you can recognise the reference in the title...;)
                                                     

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :) Thanks Chantelle, and 4 for you! You go Glen Coco!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Naomi, this is fantastic. I really enjoyed the mani and the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this alternative design from the standard graveyard. You did an excellent job with the white and clear marble too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, love! I'm really glad you think so with the marble - it was painful to get just the right wavy looking shape. :)

      Delete
  4. Love this! Really awesome idea and it looks so good. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I love it! Your originality is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I am very proud of this one...:)

      Delete
  7. Waw awesome! Instant follower <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. <3 the realistic arm! just can't get enough ;)
    I'm no.21 in this challenge check it out would love to see what you think... realy great work ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks love! I'll check yours out now.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think about my nails/posts, so feel free to leave a comment!

Please do not use comments to advertise or spam. Links to blogs or other sites without specific purpose will not be published.

All comments are moderated (this way I know I've read every one), so your comment may not appear right away.

xNai